Sunday, June 22, 2008

Regent to the good king

I'm hanging out with Good King M. (step dad) these days. I'm not sure if that makes me the regent, but close enough.

It's exciting or amusing work for these reasons:

Cooking
Cooking with/for M. is like being in the kitchen with a lemur. If you're chopping anything he likes, his hand will dart in between knife chops to steal unguarded morsels. He's 83; How can his hands be so swift? I'm the equivalent of a black belt in hand-to-hand combat and I'm powerless to stop him.

Oxygen
M.'s wearing a little oxygen-delivery system. It makes tiny puffs, so he sounds like Darth Vader as interpreted by Hello Kitty.
"I am your stepfather Daniel . . . poof, poof."
Politics
M. is very sweet in apologizing for leaving the world a crappier place than when he found it. I'm not even sure that's accurate, but he's very concerned about this administration's failures vis-a-vis oil, healthcare, education, etc.

Cooking again
Did I mention that the Good King's idea of a great vegetable-side for chicken is honey? Is it sweet and fiberless? Perfecto!

The Interwebs
I'm tutoring M. on how to use the web. He's a good student except he believes using the web will be harder than it is. He's by no means the only person to suffer from this misconception, so no big deal. If you can recommend interesting sites, let me know.

The only downside for me is that when I explain about my successes on the web (like how, for instance I'm probably going to get some freelance work up on MSNBC shortly) he's not suitably impressed. He's never heard of MSNBC, let alone gone there. To be fair, MSNBC isn't that big a deal (sarcasm), and M. knows I went to high school with one of the founders of Google (truth).

Hard to top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to cook for Manny. We could discuss how, I too, hate the internets.