Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm a writing machine . . .


This chimp is just one underpaid intern in my brain.

. . . though not like a typewriter. More like a room filled with chimps.

Right now I've got my chimps writing some basic "interactives" for MSNBC.com. The first one is something like "Technologies that signal the end of days". It's supposed to be humorous and perhaps thought-provoking. I'll link to it when and if it goes up.

Unfortunately, I've learned that writing for mass media is hard, you've got to write to all layers of reader. I'm reminded of something my dad once opined, that the best writers in England often worked for the tabloids. They were the only ones who could manage to write about intelligent topics intelligently, and not leave behind the, er, less educated members of the audience. It turns out that writing intelligently for the mass market is tough to do well.

Luckily, the web is a good medium for educating as you go. It's possible to drop in links (like the one I used above) to give readers who want it a little background.

No comments: