Saturday, June 28, 2008

M. and technology

M. just crushed me at Wii bowling. I'm not even sure what to make of that. He's 83.

On the topic of being 83 and thinking about technology, educating M. about the web and how to access it has been very instructive. It's also been like trying to teach a camel to knit.

I remember my friend Anne telling me about an article she read that talked about how IQ is actually increasing. Apparently, younger generations are taught to do a better job of abstraction - and IQ tests favor that skill set. I'm not sure I buy it, but there's something going on here. An example she repeated is that if you ask someone of my generation to name similarities shared by a dog and a rabbit, we'd tell you about quadrupedia, mammalian attributes, and so on.

Apparently among some older generations, the question is nonsense. You use dogs to kill rabbits, so they're sort of diametrically opposed.

As I say, I'm not sure I take all that as gospel, but I've been trying to explain the Web to M. using first principles. However, he's approaching it very practically. To him, it's not important what programs are open to allow him to see his email. I'm much (much) less interested in getting something done than I am in understanding how it works.

No comments: