Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Drink Britannia!

This is a little out of date, but last week Monday I went with my friend to the British embassy for wine and hors d'oeuvres. It was sort of funny because I met my country's ambassador to my other country (I have dual citizenship). The ambassador and his wife made a very gracious host and hostess, although I found myself unusually baffled about where to put my hands once I was done shaking theirs. I suppose I'm not used to meeting people who are important enough to represent an entire country.

It was a grand do and my friend, whose guest I was, remember, strictly discouraged me from taking photos. Sorry. This was particularly disappointing once Alan Greenspan, Andrea Mitchell and Maureen Dowd all showed up eventually. I joked to the group I was with that I had to go deck Mr. Greenspan (for the economy stupid), because I have no idea when to keep my mouth shut.

It was a just a joke of course, since I quite admire Mr. Greenspan and I understand he has the good grace to consider our soon-to-be-former president an insufferable buffoon (I may be putting words in his mouth). Luckily people did laugh.

Maureen Dowd, who I like also - though in her case for her practical and/or provocative attitude towards both politics and feminism - was shortly surrounded by a number of young gentlemen. I assume they were trying to demonstrate that they were indeed necessary. I didn't get close enough to find out.

Indeed, I didn't say hi to any of the D.C. celebs because I'd have run out of clever things to say once I announced their own identities to them. I'm fairly sure they're all up to date on such news.

I am bummed I didn't get to ask the guy from BBC what he thought of pursuing journalism in the US. Broadcast journalists in the UK, in my humble opinion, are a bit more forceful when it comes to questions and follow-ups. I wonder if he notices cultural differences on that front too, or if I'm making it all up.

Anyway, I was a small fly on a big wall and I got to meet some interesting people and goggle at others. I was very glad to be invited.

No comments: