Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Marmite - Now for . . . baking? Surely not!


Attribution: bunchofpants


This post will amuse only my English reader(s?) and those otherwise familiar with marmite (or marmoset as my friend Mike Elkins likes to call it).

I was in the grocery store today looking for sugar-free brownie mix (with no bloody luck, I'll add). Predictably, I was in the "Baking Needs" section of the supermarket. Less predictably, somewhat troublingly actually, I ran into Marmite there. It brought me up short, I'll tell you.

For those of you who don't know, Marmite is yeast extract British people spread on their children's bread to acclimate the wee darlings to a lifetime of eating horrible British food. It tastes rather like slightly bitter salt and you should probably never ever eat it unless you were raised on it. I love it!

I was excited to see some Marmite in my local grocery, since it's not always available and for God's sake, I live in the South now. I was horrified to see it in the "Baking" section though, because it goes about as well with cake as Marie Antoinette.

I worked out the odd logic when I noticed it was surrounded by Fleischmann's yeast, so I told a somewhat uninterested shop manager that he might have a miscategorization on his hands, a miscategorization that could lead to a violent revolution involving beheadings if anyone tried using Marmite as yeast for . . . well for anything.

As an interesting side note, Marmite and mashed banana on toast is lovely. Shut up, yes it is!

Also, take a look at Marmite's own site. This ad is pretty right on the money, although the amount she puts on her toast could probably kill a grown horse.

P.S. - while I was looking for an image of a marmoset, I found this adorable site. Look at it!

2 comments:

lkrino said...

Marmite makes me throw up in my mouth a little. That's just gross, man. It belongs in the "Vomit" aisle. Ok. I'll stop now. Sorry.

Daniel Harrison said...

Seriously, you're not the only one to think that. Sadly however, you're siding with the people who are wrong.