Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Awesome storm

We had a fantastic hail storm in Reston today. It came on super quick and there was horizontal rain, lightning, thunder, and hazelnut-sized hail stones.

A lot of us went outside to have a look because it was so incredible. It was raining 3 hours later when I left.

One of my co-workers said he was glad he hadn't washed his car over the weekend. I told him how glad I was I hadn't thrown handfuls of pebbles at my car as I actually thought how glad I was to have the stupid car insured. Turns out my car is hail-proof, at least at the level of hazelnut-grade hail.

The lesson I learned is, always take your camera. A little video would have been better than my crap description.

The good news is that I'm in storm country again. One of the things I loved about Michigan was that when it stormed, it really opened up and stormed. New York has tame little storms that suck. Nothing scary about most NY storms. I like my terrifying weather events to be safe, but to make you wonder, like rollercoasters.

Okay, everybody back to work!

3 comments:

thumps860 said...

Hi Daniel...it's Mary. I've been reading your blogs and thoroughly enjoying them. I miss your sense of humor. Glad to see I can get my fix here.

I do, however, take a small offense at your cavalier attitude towards our NY storms. The other day, we had a bad storm and lightening touched the ground with a huge flash about a block in front of me. I have a new repsect for the metoerologist when they say to get inside during these storms. I thought they were kidding. Glad to see they are earning their keep, or at least some of it.

PS. I met Liev Scheiber!!!!!

thumps860 said...

Sorry....that's Schreiber.

karen said...

I agree with Mary. We've had some pretty bad storms here recently. even warnings about hail in the area. granted, i haven't seen any hail but there have been warnings! :-)