Thursday, July 10, 2008

small town adventure


Maverick is a bit of a twit.
Today when we went for breakfast (at that restaurant I hate, yes, I know), there was a very eager dog (a shitzu I think) scampering around the parking lot trying to make friends, run under cars, the usual.

One of the folks we were meeting for breakfast is an inveterate animal saver. Last week at breakfast she told us all about the ferret she saved in the woods (MSU has a lot of students, and this time of year is when irresponsible students ditch their unwanted pets). Anyway, Kathy saw the dog and got that unmistakable look in her eye.

More for Kathy than for the dog, I offered the use of our back yard - which is fenced in - for dog storage while we ate breakfast and decided what to do with the pooch. I used my cell phone to call the dog-grooming place right next door to the restaurant, in case it had been boarded there and escaped, but it was 8:15 at this point and no one answered.

Eventually, we hatched the plan to call the animal control people and foist the problem off on them. That's why they're there after all. But this was going to have to wait until Kathy was done with some errands. Meanwhile, I threw a stick for the dog in the back yard. He was not a bright dog. Or he's deaf perhaps. Full of energy, but dumb.

Anyway, speaking of dumb, as I was playing with the pooch it (finally) occurred to me that I could take a picture of him with my phone. After a torturous period getting the little bastard to sit still enough that I could shoot the pic, I called the now-open grooming shop and asked if they boarded dogs. No, no they don't. Okay, well, does this dog sound familiar? Wait a sec, I'll send you a picture.

A few moments later i got a call back and it turns out that Maverick is well known to the ladies of the doggy salon. So, the dog is back in the hands of people who love him, Kathy is very glad to have the weight off her mind, and I'm psyched that my (cheap cheap phone) managed to enable some fancy communication.

No comments: