Monday, July 14, 2008

Back in Reston, back online

Hey Verizon stopped by today and totally hooked me up with broadband and HDTV. On top of all that, the interface for using the cable is just a lot easier than the crap I had to put up with from Comcast.

I'm growing further convinced that interface is the edge these days. Apple broke stirringly into the cell phone market using primarily interface changes. BMW keeps getting hammered for that nonsense iDrive doodly do that no one can use. And Comcast made me suffer through that terrible terrible interface they had to the point where I was happy for any out I could find.

I only watch about 5 hours of TV a week, if that, but I don't want those precious moments marred by frustration. There are still a lot of interfaces to be improved, and I think that players who can fix them in markets where they're broken (DVDs - and frankly anywhere else IP protection gets in the way of ease-of-use - I'm looking at yous) stand to corner the market.

Verizon is, however, bringing yearly contracts to the table. That's an unnecessary frustration, right? I'm sure it's a large investment to send folks out to link houses up (even after laying the cables), but you'd imagine getting more people out of the gate would offset the one-time hook up costs.

Still, it's good to be back online so I won't complain just yet.

No comments: