Monday, May 12, 2008

Kenya kenya kenya

This will be unadorned with images and web stuff, because i'm sitting in a cybercafe in Nairobi.

Just got back from safari, which was fundamentally awesome. Do you remember the rush you got from going to the zoo for the first time and realizing that the animals you'd read about or seen on TV had physical mass? Well, multiply that times awesome.

Right before heading to safari we also visited a company called Nairo-bits. They teach slum kids computer skills from basic skills up to web development. At each level, the kids open up a new vocational training. Knowledge of Word and formatting allows them to design business cards and format CVs, while those kids who learn enough to create dynamic web pages usually get jobs with the firm they do their final project for.

The whole thing resonates with the idea I had to teach my mentee back in Yonkers how to code. I figured if I was making $55/hour at something I learned in a couple months after I graduated, why shouldn't a "child at risk" be able to deflate some of that financial risk on his own.

Anyway, got to run. I promise pictures and video of wild animals when I'm back.

No comments: