Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Moving to Reston

Hey y'all, I moved to Reston about two weeks ago. I've just recently found the time (and unpacked the necessary hardware) to start blogging.

Reston is creepy. I was having a hard time deciding if the town has the smartest, dryest sense of humor I've ever come across, or has no sense of humor at all. I'm now leaning towards the latter.

To set things up, the part of Reston I'm in has been described by me, my friends, family, or coworkers in the following ways:

It's like . . .
  • . . . an outdoor airport
  • . . . a mall
  • . . . Mainstreet USA at Disney
  • . . . Stepford
I can't argue too much. It's very white aspirational upper-middle class. AOL is nearby and I've never seen so many Porsches. My new Honda Fit, quite frankly, doesn't.

Here are some pictures that explain my confusion about the sense of humor:

this one just kills me. "SoMa" is supposed to be South of Market St., like SoHo is South
of Houston in NYC and London. Now Reston's a really tame place, so the fact that
soma is also the name of the pacifying drug from Brave New World would be
hilarious if someone thought of it. OH GOD I hope it was intentional.

and . . .



A BMW with a latte on the front? OH COME ON! There's probably an
izod shirt in the glove compartment.

4 comments:

SSchoeps said...

I just want to know if it's from Starbucks. If not, I'll run down to Central Ave and pick one up for you! (In the BMW). :) By the way, I've never blogged before.

Thanks for the update!

Daniel Harrison said...

Stacy! Welcome to the blogosphere. Technically, you've only commented, not blogged, but you're that much closer.

I'll take a latte.

Unknown said...

Reston. So close, yet so far from Carlisle.

Ames*One said...

what to do now?.. i've read all your posts finally (in reverse chronological order), and have to say have had a good laugh along the way. i'll admit, it's usually when i get home in a slightly altered state (by alcohol or what have you..) but nevertheless, i'm usually focused enough to appreciate the nuances of your writing. thank you, and keep posting..