Monday, March 2, 2009

Writing about stuff makes you healthier?

This (pdf) article suggests that writing a little bit each day about emotional stuff should make you feel physically better.

I knew there was a good reason to be a writer (or self-absorbed blogger)! Just ask Franz Kafka or Sylvia Plath.

I'm not sure what the mechanism is. I have to re-read the article, which I hardly even skimmed the first time. I sometimes think that shoe-horning the miserable jumble of stimuli that constitute real life into some sort of meaningful narrative may be enough to make you feel not only like you understand what's going on, but as though it has some meaning. That's probably enough to make you a bit more chipper and lower your blood pressure, I guess.

Meanwhile, in DH news, I'm still looking for a place to buy or rent in DC (have to start applying for mortgage loans tomorrow if I want to buy), I'm trying to write more - though more for my career's well-being than my body's, and I'm coding my ass off in order to get giftgaff looking all pretty and awesome. End of this weekend or I'm going to kick my own ass.

No comments: