Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ow

I just got finished being manhandled by a much smaller dude. Granted, he's my martial arts instructor, but still, wow.

I was the only one who showed up for class today so we did some trapping. It's a very particular range of fighting that you use to bridge the gap between punching and either grappling or more punching. It's elegant and artistic and doesn't work very well if the other guy is throwing boxing punches.

However, it transitions really well to take-downs, so we did some of those. Well, once you take a guy down a few times, as any male friend will tell you, you have to wrestle. Those are the rules made up in the time of Adam or Jesus or someone and there's no way around them unless someone gets hurt. Even then there'd better be some blood.

Anyway, wrestling at a dojo quickly becomes ju-jitsu.

I'm not very good at ju-jitsu.

I'm a fair wrestler because of all the time Dad spent throwing me and my sisters around during our youth, but I have talent rather than skill. I countered a couple of his maneuvers thanks to being about 8 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier, but now my ribs have bruised ribs and portions of my lower back seem to have seceded. Seriously, is it possible to prolapse your spine?

Man I miss being young and made of Nerf.

No comments: