Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wired and late breaking news

I was just at Barnes and Noble killing time and I picked up a copy of Wired to browse through. I ended up getting it because it's nice to have something to read on the can or during the many hours I have nothing better to do.

When I was checking out, the guy at the counter made friendly conversation by asking if I was getting it to "stay on top of things".

My thoughts went like this:
  • Huh?
  • Stay on top of things? With Wired?
  • Oh he's joking
  • Wait, he's not joking.
  • Oh, hang on, he's a norm.
The guy was friendly and I said, in a friendly way, oh, not really, because, you know, it's in print so it's already about a month out of date. He nodded and smiled and I wandered off feeling like an alien.

I remember when I was reading Wired to stay on top of stuff. That was about 6 years ago. RSS feeds and iGoogle have changed all that for me. Now I enjoy Wired precisely because it's a little more relaxed. They've done the research for me, digested it, put some thought into the analysis. It's like the week in review for tech stuff (only not TWiT, I know).

Funny that Wired has moved from being cutting-edge for me to post-news roundup in the span of just a few years. Is it like that for anyone else reading the blog? I know both of you, and I've got my guesses.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Waterfalls and Barnes and Noble?? Clearly you are not working hard enough. And if you're not going to work you should visit historic Carlisle. Talk about late breaking news--we've got the American Revolution here!

Digital Dirk said...

Nice illustrative point of how the speed of information delivery/consumption is changing for all of us. Now, Wired for me is a mix of some old news digested in a unique way as well as new information that I may have missed in the growing stream of RSS I try to peruse. It will be interesting to see where we are in a few years,as wireless carriers blanket the U.S. with Wi-Fi access. Will everything from our mp3 players to our refrigerators pump us full of RSS during every waking moment and how can Print Pubs compete?

karen said...

sorry, i'm too busy watching L&O to worry about being up-to-date... :-P Hey, look, you've got more than two readers!