Friday, July 20, 2007

Get a 1st life!

This week I'm out in Portland, OR, a place I'm seriously considering a move to now that I've seen it. Today I'm wearing my "Get a first life" T-shirt.

It's a parody of Linden Labs' whole SecondLife business/movement, and I got one because I'm both a geek and a skeptic. I also think they're funny.

Anyway, because the wedding I'm attending is today, I got a haircut this morning. I ended up explaining what the shirt meant because none of the people working at Aveda had heard of SecondLife. I also got a compliment from one of the other friends of the bride and groom on the shirt, but ended up explaining all about second life and WoW to other people sitting about.

Finally, as I'm sitting in Peet's coffee doing a totally crap job of catching up on work, a guy approached me and told me he liked the shirt. Turns out he works for Linden Labs and is on vacation out here.

It's a funny little world full of web memes these days.

I've also managed to identify and swap winks with a few folks wearing Threadless t-shirts. Turns out the t-shirt is the preferred medium of communication in the world of the web geeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're still a riot, my friend!
I love it.
xoxo
MDC