Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lovely photo

I went to brunch with sister J--- today (happy birthday T-- and J--). Afterwards the lot of us went over to Adams Morgan where they were having the Adams Morgan street fair festival. Just as J--'s friend D-- and I were talking about how to know when and how much you should pay for art, I saw a photograph I really like.

I asked the guy how much it was and haggled him down a little - thanks Dad for teaching me how. Now I'm the proud owner of this great photo.

What I really liked about his work was how he manages to use peoples' gazes to draw you into the picture and tell stories. I know that may sound unusually pointy-headed even for me, but take a look at the rest of the pictures on the site. One of my favorites is this one with a cat and a baby looking with different interest at a fish.

Oh, by the way, the way you decide whether or not to buy art is by figuring out how much you like it. Avoid seeing it as an investment. If it'll bring you $100 of enjoyment when you look at it over the course of your ownership, pay $100 or less. I thought this one would be a lot more than I paid for it, so I feel like I got a deal.

1 comment:

karen said...

Those are some great photos. I'll make sure i check out the site. Also, Belated happy bday Jess & Tab!!!